High-tech Japan's arts and pop culture are reshaping our world.
Study Japanese studies at The University of Adelaide
Japanese is spoken by some 127 million people within Japan and millions more globally. Taking up Japanese studies at The University of Adelaide provides you with the language skills to understand, research and work with Japanese here or around the world. You will be able to discover first hand Japanese art, pop culture (such as music, gaming, animé or manga), high tech culture and traditions.
As a Japanese studies student you will:
- Learn to read and write in Japanese
- Gain the skills to listen and speak in Japanese
- Develop an understanding and appreciation of Japanese culture
- Study the Japanese influence in modern society
- Improve your understanding of how language works
- Have the opportunity to study abroad.
By learning another language you will set yourself apart from others. Your Japanese language skills and cultural knowledge will enhance your career prospects in Australia and abroad. Japan, the world’s third largest economy and Australia’s second biggest trading partner, offers all sorts of opportunities.
As a University of Adelaide student you will have access to over 100 overseas exchange programs around the world. The University of Adelaide has student exchange links with several Japanese universities including Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Sophia, Chuo, Hosei, Kansai and Okayama. As a Japanese studies student you can study overseas for one semester or one year and gain credit towards your University of Adelaide degree. We also offer an intensive Japanese in-country summer school in Kyoto.
- International law
- Corporate executive
How can I study Japanese studies?
You can study Japanese as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Arts (Japanese Studies)
- Bachelor of Environmental Policy and Management
- Bachelor of International Development
- Bachelor of International Relations
- Bachelor of Languages
- Bachelor of Teaching (Middle) with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Arts
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Arts
"I got the wonderful opportunity to study abroad in Japan as a part of my degree and it opened my eyes to different perspectives and expanded my horizons. Whilst on exchange, I learnt first hand about the language and culture Japan that gave me a greater understanding of the nation, adding more value to my degree."Isabella Transini