German has deep roots in European and Australian culture.
Study German studies at The University of Adelaide
German is a language of potential: as the national language of Germany and a dominant language in central Europe. As a German studies student at The University of Adelaide, you will gain valuable practical language skills. Germany had the largest economy in Europe and, together with its sister countries Austria and Switzerland, it is Australia’s third most important trading partner.
As a German studies student you will:
- Learn to read and write in German
- Gain the skills to listen and speak in German
- Develop an understanding and appreciation of German culture
- Study the German influence in modern society
- Improve your understanding of how language works
- Have the opportunity to study abroad.
By learning another language you will set yourself apart from others in your future career. As a University of Adelaide student you also have the advantage of studying in South Australia and seeing how the culture is woven into our history.
Extend your German proficiency and deepen your understanding of the culture and society before you graduate with an international exchange! As a University of Adelaide student you will have access to over 100 overseas exchange programs around the world. A one semester or one year study exchange is on offer with our partner universities including the University of Mannheim, the University of Stuttgart and the University of Southampton. We also offer the opportunity of an intensive in-country Summer School program in Stuttgart that counts as a credit to your degree.
- International law
- Corporate executive
How can I study German studies?
You can study German as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Arts (German Studies)
- Bachelor of Environmental Policy and Management
- Bachelor of International Development
- Bachelor of International Relations
- Bachelor of Languages
- Bachelor of Teaching (Middle) with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Arts
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Arts