Geography, Environment and Population
Geography, environment and population encompasses the relationship between humans and the environments in which we live.
Study geography, environment and population at The University of Adelaide
Discover how we can live in a way that is good for both people and the planet. As a geography, environment and population student at The University of Adelaide, you will explore issues relating to global change. Explore a variety of geographical and environmental issues including climate change, global migration, and urban and rural development with an emphasis on sustainability.
As a geography, environment and population student you will:
- Use physical and social sciences to understand social sustainability
- Learn how humans interact with the environment at a local and global level
- Research how the world can sustain an ever-expanding population
- Investigate possible answers to environmental problems
- Explore how to answer and resolve pressing issues such as climate change, over population and food and water security
- Discover what future cities will look like and how climate change will impact society.
At the University of Adelaide our geography, environment and population researchers play a national leadership role in their fields of expertise. As a student you will develop your knowledge base, critical thinking and analytical skills. These skills will make you highly sought after by employers, especially in the government sector.
As a University of Adelaide student you will have access to over 100 overseas exchange programs around the world. The University of Adelaide has student exchange links with several universities including Cardiff, Newcastle, University College London and Southampton. As a geography, environment and population student you can study overseas for one semester or one year and gain credit towards your University of Adelaide degree.
A Study Tour to Freiburg & Berlin in Germany is on offer in term 4, run by Dr Jennifer Bonham. Find more information here.
- Environmental consultancy
- Environmental management
- Humanitarian work
- Local government
- Indigenous organisations
How can I study geography, environment and population?
You can choose Geography, Environment and Population as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Arts (Geography, Environment and Population)
- Bachelor of International Development
- Bachelor of International Relations
- Bachelor of Teaching (Middle) with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Arts
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Arts
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Environmental Policy and Management