Societies are directly influenced by gender whether we can see it or not.
Study gender at The University of Adelaide
Gender studies explores society and the ways in which gender is organised around it. As a gender studies student at The University of Adelaide, you will examine the ways gender intersects all aspects of our lives. Discover the many ways gender shapes our lives from identities, sexualities and embodiment, to work, health, and popular culture.
As a gender studies student you will:
- Explore the ways society is organised around gender
- Examine how gender affects power, privilege and inequality
- Gain awareness of your own life to better understand the choices of others
- Understand and help remedy inequality, celebrate diversity and work towards a more equal world
- Be informed of discussions on topics such as body image, sexism in politics and the gender pay gap
- Discover how income, careers, relationships and political participation are influenced by gender.
The University of Adelaide has taught gender studies for over 20 years. In modern society, there is a large need for gender studies experts to help address gender inequality and promote diversity. As a gender studies student at The University of Adelaide, you will perfect your communication as well as critical and independent thinking skills. Future employers will be attracted to your unique approach to high ethical standards and your ability to work with diversity.
As a University of Adelaide student you will have access to over 100 overseas exchange programs around the world. The University of Adelaide has student exchange links with several universities including the College of William & Mary, Dalhousie and Simpson College. As a gender studies student you can study overseas for one semester or one year and gain credit towards your University of Adelaide degree.
- Community development
- International development
- Public policy
- Health policy
- Government agencies
- Human rights
- Social research
How can I study gender studies?
You can choose Gender Studies as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees or as a major or minor in the following: