Literature can shape and reflect our views of the world. Learn how to reason and write with artistic merit.
Study English at The University of Adelaide
English studies traditionally focuses on close reading of literary texts. As an English student at The University of Adelaide, you will study a range of cultural productions such as books, plays, speeches, scripts and films. Learn how to interpret past and present literary works and how best to communicate your discoveries.
As an English student you will:
- Learn to think and write critically about literature
- Interpret texts from different perspectives
- Improve your communication skills
- Explore a wide variety of texts from different time periods
- Discover how literature has affected social views
- Gain insight into how texts imitate and form individual and societal identities.
The University of Adelaide has a tradition of outstanding teaching: The Department of English and Creative Writing has been recognised for excellence in learning. Our teaching staff are active researchers and writers at the cutting edge of the field. Many of our teachers, including Associate Professor Lucy Potter and Dr Joy McEntee, have won prestigious awards for teaching.
As a University of Adelaide student you will have access to over 100 overseas exchange programs around the world. The University of Adelaide has student exchange links with several universities including Newcastle, Simpson College, Canterbury, Essex, Mannheim and Southampton. As an English Studies student you can study overseas for one semester or one year and gain credit towards your University of Adelaide degree.
- Public Policy
How can I study English?
You can study English as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing)
- Bachelor of Arts (English)
- Bachelor of Creative Arts
- Bachelor of Environmental Policy and Management
- Bachelor of Teaching (Middle) with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Arts
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Arts
My degree has opened many opportunities for me, including a semester exchange overseas and an internship at ABC Radio Adelaide. With these opportunities have come lifelong relationships and a newfound curiosity about the world. My double major in English and Philosophy has cultivated my communication and critical thinking skills. These are arguably the most important skills one can have in today's world. Sarah McLean