Classics, Archaeology and Ancient History
Explore the worlds of ancient Greece and Rome – their arts, literature and thought.
Study classics, archaeology and ancient history at The University of Adelaide
Study the ancient civilisations of Greece and Rome in the only classics discipline in South Australia. As a classics student at The University of Adelaide, you will discover the history, art and culture of ancient times and have exclusive access to the Museum of Classical Archaeology.
As a classics student you will:
- Discover what is "classical" about the ancient world
- Explore the culture, art, society, religions, literature and political ideas of ancient Greece and Rome
- Acquire a knowledge of the ancient world and an appreciation of its legacy
- Improve your language skills by studying a semester of Latin on campus
- Develop skills in close reading and interpretation of source material
- Access exclusive materials at our Departmental Museum - the largest collection of artefacts from ancient Greece and Rome in South Australia.
A member of the Group of Eight – a grouping of the most prestigious universities in Australia, The University of Adelaide has a history of excellence in research and teaching. Our academic staff are leading experts in their field and active researchers. Our Department of Classics, Archaeology and Ancient History offers students a unique learning environment with our neighbours the Art Gallery of South Australia and the South Australian Museum, as well as exclusive access to our Departmental Museum.
- Museum and gallery worker
- Cultural tourism
- Public service
How can I study classics, archaeology and ancient history?
You can study Classics as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following: