Art History and Visual Culture
Study diverse images and objects in their historical and cultural contexts.
Study Art History and Visual Culture at The University of Adelaide
Study diverse images and objects: from paintings and sculpture, to street art and film, in their historical and cultural contexts. Explore the making, meaning, reception and consumption of historical and contemporary images and objects, and develop visual literacy in the areas of analysis, critical thinking, and persuasive communication skills.
As an Art History and Visual Culture student you will:
- Learn how to analyse and interpret past and present images and objects
- Develop specialist research skills for discovering answers to questions like: how are works of art and visual culture made? Who makes them? When were they made? How were they used? Who used them? What is the subject, and what does it mean?
- Apply your knowledge and use appropriate digital technologies to curate an online exhibition of old or new media works of art.
As a University of Adelaide student you will have access to over 100 overseas exchange programs around the world. The University of Adelaide has student exchange links with several universities including the College of William & Mary and Newcastle. As a art history and visual culture student you can study overseas for one semester or one year and gain credit towards your University of Adelaide degree.
- Heritage organisations
- Auction houses
- Arts administration
- Arts promotion
- Arts policy
- Non-profit arts organisations
How can I study Art History and Visual Culture?
You can study Art History and Visual Culture as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Arts (Art History and Visual Culture)
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Media with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Environmental Policy and Management