Make your mark on the visual communication industry.
Study visual design at The University of Adelaide
The work of graphic designers is visible everywhere. As a visual design student at The University of Adelaide, you will have access to industry-standard technologies and learn the design principles required to launch your career. Study the history and function of design, gain general knowledge in multiple art forms and bring your unique ideas to life with creative projects.
As a visual design student you will:
- Experiment with graphic styles, materials and ideas as well as industry-standard software
- Research and analyse design principles and history
- Investigate design problems and then discuss and propose creative solutions
- Discover commercial practices within the graphic design industry
- Explore the life of a design project from initial concept to final presentation
- Showcase your individual expression with a portfolio of projects
Initially, in Design Fundamentals, you will discover and explore a wide array of design principles, elements and processes. Following this there are two dedicated courses that adopt a studio-based approach to learning, which relies on input from highly experienced design industry specialists from the field. As a student at The University of Adelaide, you will also have the opportunity to undertake an industry placement through our Media Industry Transitions course.
- Graphic designer
- Digital media designer
- Web designer
- Creative industry
- Digital communications
- Production art department
- Film, games and television
How can I study visual design?
"I love that I am being challenged to achieve a higher standard of creativity. As a result of being in the graphic design course and being a part of the Adelaide University Media Association, I have been able to receive paid and unpaid freelance work which helps build my portfolio, and will help me sell myself for when I apply for a job after I graduate."Anzelle de Kock