Shake up the contemporary music industry and excel as a creative professional.
Study popular music at The University of Adelaide
Music exists in so many artistic platforms – live performance, music recording, radio, film and TV. As a popular music student at The University of Adelaide, you will focus on song writing, performance and production in an environment that nurtures creativity and collaboration. Gain an edge in the contemporary music industry with your technological expertise and music literary skills and choose from expanding career paths.
As a popular music student you will:
- Develop as a song writer, showcasing your unique style and identity
- Explore, research and analyse contemporary music
- Use the latest cutting-edge technologies for music production
- Access rehearsal and recording studios to develop your work 24/7
- Gain mentorship and business coaching from industry professionals
- Extend your skills by studying electives outside music such as Business, Science or Media.
Established in 1883, The Elder Conservatorium of Music at The University of Adelaide is the oldest tertiary music school in Australia and one of the country’s leading music institutions. Our Sia Furler Institute for Contemporary Music and Media also offers courses with a unique blend of media and music. As a popular music graduate you will be equipped to enter into diverse careers in the music and creative industries, mentor artists, produce music or work at major festivals.
- Recording artist
- Sound engineer
- Band musician
- Music researcher
- Music journalist or broadcaster
How can I study popular music?
* Note: entrance into the Bachelor of Music (Popular Music) is by audition.
"It’s an incredible course and if you love music and want to turn that love into a career opportunity, this is the place for you. We have access to incredible facilities that we get to use 24/7 which is insane. In one year I’ve made amazing friends and valuable contacts that will help me achieve my career goals."Zak Stuart