Modern Greek Studies
More than 150,000 English words could be originated from Greek words.
Study modern Greek at The University of Adelaide
One of the oldest Indo-European languages, Greek is typically separated into ancient Greek (often considered a dead language) and modern Greek. As a modern Greek student at The University of Adelaide, you will gain valuable practical language skills. Modern Greek refers to the Greek language spoken today by approximately 12-15 million people as the official language of both Greece and Cyprus.
As a modern Greek student you will:
- Learn to read and write in modern Greek
- Gain the skills to listen and speak in modern Greek
- Develop an understanding and appreciation of Grecian culture
- Study the Grecian influence in modern society
- Improve your understanding of how language works
- Have the opportunity to study abroad.
By learning another language you will set yourself apart from others in your future career. As a University of Adelaide modern Greek student you will be offered a wealth of opportunities for your professional future with this diverse language.
As a University of Adelaide student you will have access to over 100 overseas exchange programs around the world. You can study overseas for one or two semesters which counts as a credit towards your degree.
- International law
- Corporate Executive
How can I study Modern Greek?
You can study Modern Greek as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Arts (Modern Greek Studies)
- Bachelor of Environmental Policy and Management
- Bachelor of International Relations
- Bachelor of Languages
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Bachelor of Teaching (Middle) with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Arts