If you like choice, this degree is for you. Choose between ten exciting and industry-focused specialisations to give you the media career you desire.
Study Media at The University of Adelaide
Learn about the media industry both nationally and internationally. You will study of all forms of media from the digital age including TV, radio, film, print and online media. Explore media’s history and how modern technology has impacted media and culture.
As a media student you will:
- Gain a firm understanding of digital and traditional media industries and technologies
- Explore the ways digital media shapes societal views
- Develop the skills required for employment within media and various other industries
- Bring together academic learning and workplace experience with a media industry placement
- Study creative media practices such as visual and online design, radio and video production
- Combine a unique blend of industry skills with practical and theoretical knowledge.
You will be able to choose between the following industry-focused specialisations:
- Immersive Media
- Visual Design
- Social Media and Digital Production
- Story Production
- Film Studies
- Photographic Imaging
- Popular Music
- Sonic Arts
As a media student at The University of Adelaide, you will work closely with industry, gaining first-hand experience and knowledge enabling you to put your media training into practice in real-world situations.
Students will develop professional-level skills through a variety of courses in the areas of digital media, media policy and law, writing, research and reporting and digital storytelling.
Included within the course are Media Internships and live Radio Adelaide broadcasts. Our Sia Furler Institute for Contemporary Music and Media also offers courses with a unique blend of media and music.
As a University of Adelaide student you will have access to over 100 overseas exchange programs around the world. The University of Adelaide has student exchange links with several universities including Dalhousie, Hong Kong, Sciences Po Reims, Simpson College, Oslo, Sheffield and Yonsei. As a media student you can study overseas for one semester or one year and gain credit towards your University of Adelaide degree.
In your final year, you will undertake an industry internship through the Media Industry Transitions course (Bachelor of Media program only). This gives you an industry experience which helps you to better understand how media and communications theory operates in practice.
Brittany Pfeiffer, Bachelor of Media
"My experience at The University of Adelaide has been nothing short of amazing. The staff are so supportive and there are many services offered to students from all backgrounds. The academic staff are extremely passionate which allows studying to be so much more enjoyable. I have thoroughly enjoyed my university experience so far and the people I have met along the way. I am excited to begin my final year participating in a study tour overseas."
Thomas Perrotta, Bachelor of Media
"I had always been interested and impressed by what I had heard through friends and family who had studied here at the University of Adelaide. It carries a high reputation for the quality of courses available, career pathways and graduate qualifications and that was something I wanted to share in and be part of."
How can I study Media?
- Bachelor of Media (Immersive Media)
- Bachelor of Media (Visual Design)
- Bachelor of Media (Social Media and Digital Production)
- Bachelor of Media (Story Production)
- Bachelor of Media (Film Studies)
- Bachelor of Media (Journalism)
- Bachelor of Media (Marketing)
- Bachelor of Media (Photographic Imaging)
- Bachelor of Media (Popular Music)
- Bachelor of Media (Sonic Arts)
- Bachelor of Media with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Media with Bachelor of Computer Sciences
- Bachelor of Media with Bachelor of Criminology
- Bachelor of Media with Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Media with Bachelor of Sociology
- Bachelor of International Relations with Bachelor of Media
Media subjects can also be taken as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media)
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of International Relations with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Teaching (Middle) with Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Teaching (Secondary) with Bachelor of Arts
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Media