We can assist in stopping poverty, improving human rights and ending conflict in developing countries.
Study international development at The University of Adelaide
Enter a rewarding career focused on improving the wellbeing of communities in developing countries. As an international development student at The University of Adelaide, you will study the causes and consequences of global poverty and unequal development. Gain the skills and knowledge help to tackle big picture problems facing developing nations and become part of the solution.
As an international development student you will:
- Study the roles governments, businesses and society play in creating sustainable development plans
- Discover how politics, the economy and cultures can impact developing countries
- Explore the major factors leading to extreme poverty, inequality and environmental vulnerability
- Research possible solutions to poverty and sustainable development in the developing world
- Gain an understanding of the issues surrounding unequal development
- Develop the skills needed to make a real and positive difference in the lives of others.
At the University of Adelaide, our international development teachers have first-hand experience working for a wide variety of aid organisations in Afghanistan, Indonesia, Nepal and Papua New Guinea. As an international development student you can gain in-country experience by studying abroad. The University of Adelaide offers programs with Scope Global in Vietnam, Indonesia, Africa and Asia.
- International development
- Community development
- Government and non-government agencies
- United Nations agencies
- Aid worker
- International finance services
- Humanitarian work
- Social researcher
How can I study international development?
You can choose International Development as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees or as a major or minor in the following:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Arts (International Development)
- Bachelor of Environmental Policy and Management
- Bachelor of International Relations
- Bachelor of Peace and Conflict Studies
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Arts
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of International Development
"I’ve always had the desire to study a degree that gives me the capacity to not only travel the world, but to also make a difference while I do it. International Development doesn’t just cover one discipline, but a wide variety that has helped me to expand my views of the world. I’ve had the opportunity to study economics, environmental policy, and history, among other things."Jack Lake