Bring your imaginative stories to life while you develop proficiency and versatility in creative writing.
Study creative writing at The University of Adelaide
Have you ever considered how you could turn your passion for writing into a career?
As a creative writing student at The University of Adelaide, you will gain a practical introduction to creative writing. Learn lifelong skills to assist you in developing your artistic knowledge. Experience creative writing in interactive workshop-based lessons led by industry-acclaimed writers.
As a creative writing student you will:
- Become a more skilled and versatile writer
- Create short stories, poetry, life-writing, fiction and creative non-fiction pieces
- Study the techniques of a range of genres and forms
- Develop and sustain reflective writing practices
- Improve revision and editing proficiency
- Gain access to the activities of JM Coetzee Centre for Creative Practice.
The Department of English and Creative Writing has been recognised for excellence in learning and teaching. As a creative writing student at The University of Adelaide you will have the opportunity to learn from creative writers such as Dr Rosslyn Prosser, Jill Jones (Emily's Secret), Matthew Hooton (Deloume Road ), Prof. Brian Castro (Blindness & Rage) and Prof. Nicholas Jose (Paper Nautilus). Nobel Prize winner Prof. John JM Coetzee (Disgrace) is also associated with the Department.
As a University of Adelaide student you will have access to over 100 overseas exchange programs around the world. The University of Adelaide has student exchange links with several universities including Essex and Sheffield. As a creative writing student you can study overseas for one semester or one year and gain credit towards your University of Adelaide degree.
A Study Tour 'Stanley Kubrick's Boxes' is run yearly by Dr Joy McEntee.
- Poet, novelist, or short story writer
- Script writing
- Speech writing
- Public relations and marketing
- Events and communications writing
- Games writing
How can I study creative writing?
You can study Creative Writing as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following:
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Arts (Creative Writing)
- Bachelor of Arts with Bachelor of Music
- Bachelor of Creative Arts
- Bachelor of Environmental Policy and Management
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Arts
"I absolutely love the depth and diversity of subjects that we explore - from Electronic writing, Shakespeare, Short Story writing to electives in Anthropology, French and Music - I've learnt how to think creatively and openly, I've greatly improved my writing; [and my lecturer's] passion has inspired me to pursue what sets my soul on fire."Acacia Rachel Trenholm