Explore the worlds of ancient Greece and Rome – their arts, literature and thought.
Study classics at The University of Adelaide
Study the ancient civilisations of Greece and Rome in the only classics discipline in South Australia. As a classics student at The University of Adelaide, you will discover the history, art and culture of ancient times and have exclusive access to the Museum of Classical Archaeology.
As a classics student you will:
- Discover what is "classical" about the ancient world
- Explore the culture, art, society, religions, literature and political ideas of ancient Greece and Rome
- Acquire a knowledge of the ancient world and an appreciation of its legacy
- Improve your language skills by studying a semester of Latin on campus
- Develop skills in close reading and interpretation of source material
- Access exclusive materials at our Departmental Museum - the largest collection of artefacts from ancient Greece and Rome in South Australia.
A member of the Group of Eight – a grouping of the most prestigious universities in Australia, The University of Adelaide has a history of excellence in research and teaching. Our academic staff are leading experts in their field and active researchers. Our Department of Classics, Archaeology and Ancient History offers students a unique learning environment with our neighbours the Art Gallery of South Australia and the South Australian Museum, as well as exclusive access to our Departmental Museum.
- Museum and gallery worker
- Cultural tourism
- Public service
How can I study classics?
You can study Classics as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following: