Australia’s growing relationships with Asia help define who we are and provides numerous opportunities to become involved with this world professionally, academically or just for fun.
Study Asia at The University of Adelaide
From when we were joined in one continent, to our present economic, political and cultural integration, Asia has always been important to Australia - but never so much as today. Undertaking Asian studies at The University of Adelaide allows you to select from social science, cultural and international relations courses to help you develop a deep understanding of our most important northern neighbours, particularly China, Japan, India and Indonesia.
As an Asian studies student you will:
- Gain insight into Asian societies, cultures, and governments
- Research Asian histories, revolutions, and modern-day progress
- Improve your understanding of Australia’s engagement and role within the Asian region
- Be prepare them for employment in organisations engaged with the Asian region
- Learn how to communicate and network in a professional and culturally aware manner
- Develop your skills in Japanese, Chinese or Indonesian
As a University of Adelaide Asian Studies student you will have the opportunity to learn about the culture of Asian countries and society by taking an intensive language and cultural study tour of China or Japan. Offered in conjunction with China’s Shandong University and Japan’s Ritsumeikan University, you will visit significant cultural and historical sites and participate in language classes.
- International law
- Foreign affairs or international relations officer
- Communications and media officer
- Trade, travel or tourism consultant
- Community development
- Aid agencies
- Corporate executive
How can I study Asian studies?
You can study Asian Studies as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following: