Study the complex interaction of humans, societies and cultures both past and present.
Study anthropology at The University of Adelaide
Study the vast variety of culture and society the world has to offer. As an anthropology student at The University of Adelaide, you will examine the everyday lives of people in various settings all around the world. Anthropology dissects humanity and delves into human response, interaction and reflection.
As an anthropology student you will:
- Learn how each culture reacts to a wide range of topics like: death, gender, sexuality, popular culture, identity, violence and ritual
- Answer why humans act and react the way they do in specific cultural contexts
- Develop a sensitivity and appreciation of social and cultural diversity
- Become familiar with different cultural understanding and social practices
- Interact respectfully in a culturally-responsive way with people of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Discover and attain the methods and skills Anthropologists use to explore the diversity of human life.
The Department of Anthropology and Development Studies at The University of Adelaide is one of the earliest of its kind to be established in Australia. Our staff actively engaged in teaching and working throughout a wide range of anthropological practices (including Federal and State Government). As an anthropology student at The University of Adelaide you will be provided with practical skills and experience to successfully pursue a career in the sector of your choice.
As a University of Adelaide student you will have access to over 100 overseas exchange programs around the world. The University of Adelaide has student exchange links with several universities including the College of William & Mary, Hong Kong and Southampton. As an anthropology student you can study overseas for one semester or one year and gain credit towards your University of Adelaide degree.
- Museum advisor
- Native title and land claims negotiation
- Heritage consultant
- Social scientist
- Health sector
- Government department
- Aid agency
How can I study anthropology?
You can study Anthropology as an elective in most University of Adelaide degrees, or as a major or minor in the following:
I love studying anthropology because it is a lens through which we can understand the world around us. Anthropology covers a whole range of topics, from violence and crime, to health and medicine. The lecturers are very knowledgeable in their fields, as they have all done extensive research. Anthropology equips you to help others, no matter what field you are working in. Grace Blebly