The Bundey Prize for English Verse
In 1912 Ellen Milne Bundey paid to the University the sum of $400 for the purpose of founding with the income thereof, an annual prize in poetry for a person born in Australia, in memory of her parents, the late Sir Henry and Lady Bundey, to be called "The Bundey Prize for English Verse".
A prize of $200 is offered for the best poem or group of poems. The competition is open to undergraduate and postgraduate students of the University of Adelaide, provided that they are enrolled as of the 1st September in any given year and were born in Australia.
The following rules are hereby made:
- The prize, to be offered annually, shall be called "The Bundey Prize for English Verse."
- The value of the prize shall be $200.
- The prize shall be awarded in the second semester of each year to the person who, in the opinion of the examiners, has written the best poem or poems.
- If the examiners do not consider any candidate worthy to receive the prize, it shall lapse for that year. The examiners shall be appointed annually by the Faculty on the recommendation of the Head of the Department of English.
- The competition for the prize is open to graduates and undergraduates of the University of Adelaide provided that they are enrolled at the University at the date fixed for sending in poems and were born in Australia.
- Each poem (preferably typed) must be accompanied with the name of the author in full and be delivered to the Faculty of Arts Office no later than the 30th September each year, or such date as the Faculty may prescribe or in any particular case allow.
- The prize shall not be awarded twice to the same candidate.
- Copies of all poems presented shall be retained, and a copy of the successful poem shall be deposited in the Barr Smith Library.
- The prize winner will need to provide a copy of their birth certificate on receipt of the prize.
- These rules may be varied from time to time, but the title and purpose of the prize shall not be changed.
How to Enter:
All entries must be accompanied by a cover sheet with your full name, student ID number, and the title of your poem. The poem itself must contain no form of identification.
Submit three copies of your entry to the Faculty of Arts by email, by post or in-person:
Faculty of Arts
Ground Floor, Napier Building
University of Adelaide SA 5005