|The University of Adelaide||Home | Faculties & Divisions | Search|
You are here:
A Visual Essay
The world is full of marvelous things to see. But we often miss the stranger sights, due to our expectations of more familiar appearances. So we must pay particular attention, and let nothing slip by, in case something truly impossible flashes past unnoticed!
1. Australia's Parliament House in Canberra has a flagpole it would be impossible to climb!
3. Newman College, Melbourne. Its designer, Burley Griffin, provides a challenging art deco interior.
4. Mt.Fuji in the air invites an impossible comment.
5. The Great Wall of China, multiply reflected.
6. The Potala Palace, Lhasa. Large and small, near and far.
7. Pyramid. No impossible collection is complete without one!
8. Knotted Congo with impossible occlusions.
9. Victoria Falls upward.
11. Table Mountain
12. Sun Pyramid. What geometers they were, what artists!
13. Teotihuacan. Pyramid of the Sun. Note the ramps and stairs.
14. Chrsit the Redeemer.
15. Totem Pole with receding column.
16. Cincinnati Bridge with woven arches.
17. Empire State Building with Schuster superstructure.
18. Guggenheim New York with decorations
19. White House captures helicoper.
20. Impossible Pentagon.
21, Tower Bridge with unusual stabilizers.
22. Bodleian Library
23. British Museum with footprints.
24. Big Ben, multiply connected.
25. Big Ben, stripped bare by the bachelors even.
26. Buckingham palace, bent.
27. Houses of Parliament on sound contradictory foundations.
29. Roman Fora for solving impossible problems.
30. St Peters interior with occlusions
33. Arc de Tuileries, forward and behind.
Text: Chris Mortensen
Creative Input: all of the above:
This project is conducted in the Department of Philosophy, University of Adelaide, and funded by The Australian Research Council.
Would you like your country, city, building or gallery rendered impossible? Contact us!
OR you can leave a comment on our blog site here.
| Copyright © 2017 The University
Last Modified 24/11/2017 Inconsistent Images
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M