The Faculty of Arts Peer Mentoring Program is a student run initiative that aims to help first year students settle into their studies and the University of Adelaide community. The program runs throughout Semester 1 and 2, and is a great way to meet other students, have your questions answered and receive ongoing peer support in an informal setting.
Our peer mentors know from personal experience what it’s like to be a new student. They are high-performing students, eager to share ‘insider’ information to help you learn about campus life.
First year students are grouped together with their chosen peer mentor and will meet face-to-face, online and at events/activities.
As a mentee, you will:
- Receive timely information and handy hints
- Develop a network of supportive peers
- Be invited to social events and group study sessions
- Increase your awareness of student support services
- Improve your teamwork skills
- Gain a sense of belonging at university
How do I join the program as a mentee?
If you are a first year undergraduate student, it just takes 2 steps.
- Select a peer mentor
- Register your details
How do I join the program as a mentor?
As a peer mentor, this program is a great opportunity to network with fellow students and staff, and develop your leadership skills through numerous activities. Peer Mentors are also able to use this experience to count towards the Adelaide Graduate Award. If you are currently in year 2+ of an arts-based program and meet the following criteria, please complete an application form, attaching your resume and a short cover letter (no more than 400 words) addressing the following criteria.
- Demonstrate a GPA of at least 5.0, or gain a recommendation from a Head of Discipline
- Show effective listening, communication and interpersonal skills, particularly in a team environment
- Engage with a positive and open attitude
- Demonstrate tolerance and understanding of cultural diversity
- Show detailed knowledge of university facilities and services
- Respect sensitive and confidential information at all times