The Vera May Swift Scholarship
The late Vera May Swift bequeathed a one third share of her Estate to establish a Trust Fund for the provision of an annual Scholarship to benefit students who are undertaking a program of study in the field of English through the University of Adelaide's English Language Department.
The following rules are hereby made;
- The Scholarship shall be called "The Vera May Swift Scholarship".
- The value of the scholarship shall comprise an annual once-off payment of $3,000 by the University to each year's successful Scholarship candidate.
- It is the intention to offer one new scholarship per year, subject to available funds.
- If there are sufficient funds from the annual drawdown, the remaining amount will be used to subsidize a Prize at Honours Degree level in English.
- The Scholarship will only be offered to students who are undertaking a Bachelor of Arts program of Study, or equivalent at the University of Adelaide, having completed first year with the highest academic merit and proceeding into second year, majoring in English.
- The Scholarship shall not be awarded if, in the opinion of the Head of English, or equivalent, there is no candidate of sufficient merit.
- The rules of The Vera May Swift Scholarship may be varied from time to time by agreement between the Head of English, or equivalent, and the relevant Officer of the University of Adelaide, but the name and the general purpose of the Scholarship shall not be changed.