The Soroptimist International Prize for Gender Studies
Soroptimist International is a worldwide organisation for women in management and professions working through service projects to advance human rights and the status of women.
Soroptimists are women who inspire action and create opportunities to transform the lives of women and girls through a global network of members as well as local and international partnerships.
Soroptimist International Adelaide, Barossa, Mt Gambier, Naracoorte, Northern Highlands, Southern and Torrens Clubs in the Region of South Australia Eastern Districts, Naracoorte, Southern Districts, Barossa and Torrens Clubs in the region of South Australia have provided ongoing support and an annual prize to encourage and support feminist scholarship important to the advancement of women. The prize is awarded to the student whose academic performance, in the opinion of the examiners, show her/him to be the most outstanding student in Level III Gender Studies courses. The following rules are hereby made:
- There shall be a prize called the Soroptimist International Prize for Gender Studies and it shall be awarded annually.
- The value of the prize shall be $1,000.
- The prize shall be awarded to the female student who in the opinion of the examiners, shows by her academic performance to be the most outstanding student in Level III Gender Studies courses.
- If the examiners deem that two or more candidates are of equal merit, the prize shall be divided equally among the candidates.
- If in any particular year, the examiners consider that no candidate is suitable for the prize, then no award shall be made.
- These rules may be varied from time to time by the Faculty, but the title and the purpose of the prize shall not be changed.