The Lia Watson Memorial Prize
Lia Watson was a dedicated, intelligent and free thinking student in the Faculty of Arts who graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1997, majoring in Women's Studies and English. Lia possessed strength of character that always led her to achieve success despite the pressure of working in numerous jobs to support herself and maintaining the many and close friendships she cherished.
Her close friends and family have donated funds to the University to establish an annual prize in the Discipline of Gender Studies and Social Analysis in her memory, for the purpose of encouraging academic excellence and dedication in the study of second and third year Gender Studies subjects in the Discipline. The following rules are hereby made:
- The name of the prize shall be "The Lia Watson Memorial Prize."
- The value of the prize shall be $200, unless otherwise determined by the Faculty.
- The prize shall be awarded annually to a third year student who in the opinion of the Gender Studies staff of the Discipline of Gender Studies and Social Analysis has achieved at a consistently high level in both Level II and Level III Gender Studies courses, despite employment and other distracting pressures - the situation of Lia Watson, and is not in receipt of any other prize for Gender Studies.
- If, in any particular year, the Gender Studies staff of the Discipline of Gender Studies and Social Analysis consider that no candidate is suitable for the prize, then no award shall be made.
- If, in any particular year, the Gender Studies staff of the Discipline of Gender Studies and Social Analysis deem that two or more candidates are of equal merit, the prize shall be divided equally amongst them.
- These rules may be varied from time to time by the Faculty, but the title and the purpose shall not be changed.