The Colin Horne Memorial Prize
The late Professor Colin James Horne held the Jury Chair of English Language and Literature from 1957-1977. In March 2000 a sum of $3,500 was made available from his estate in order to provide for an annual essay prize in the Department of English. The name of the prize shall be "The Colin Horne Memorial Prize."
- The value of the prize shall be $200 or otherwise determined by the Faculty.
- The prize shall be awarded annually to the first, second or third year English student who, in the opinion of the Head of Department (or his/her delegate), has provided the best study or essay on a poet or aspect of poetry in English in that year.
- If, in any particular year, the examiner/s consider that no candidate is suitable for the prize, then no award shall be made.
- If, in any particular year, the examiners deem that two or more candidates are of equal merit, the prize shall be divided equally among them.
- These rules may be varied if at some time in the future if the Faculty considers it prudent to do so, but the title and general purpose of the prize shall not be changed.