The Byard Prize
In 1958 Mrs Amy Matilda Beddome paid £130 to the University to establish a prize to perpetuate the memory of her father, the late Douglas John Byard .
The following rules are made:
- The prize shall be known as "The Byard Prize" and shall be awarded annually
- The prize shall be a book voucher to the value of $200 per year, or such other amount as the University shall from time to time determine provided that the value of the prize does not exceed the annual distribution of interest available from the Endowment Fund.
- The prize shall be awarded to the student, who in the opinion of the Head of the Department has achieved the best results in a Level I English Literature course, and is not in receipt of another prize for this course
- If, in any particular year, the examiners consider that no candidate is suitable for the prize, then no award shall be made
- If two or more students are of equal merit, the prize shall be split equally
- The University may vary the rules from time to time in a manner consistent with the University's legal obligations and policies.