The Graeme Hugo Memorial Scholarship
Professor Graeme Hugo AO was an Australian demographer, academic and geographer. He served as the Director of the Hugo Centre for Migration and Population Research at the University of Adelaide. He passed away on 20 January 2015.
In honour of Professor Hugo the South Australian Government has established an annual scholarship, commencing in 2016 for three years. The scholarship will be targeted, in the first instance, at an Honours student in geography, population policy or a similar discipline that aligns with Professor Hugo's research interests. The scholarship will include an internship with the Department of State Development.
- The Scholarship shall be known as the 'The Graeme Hugo Memorial Scholarship'.
- Recipients must be Australian citizens, permanent residents of Australia or hold a humanitarian visa who are undertaking an Honours Degree in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Adelaide in the areas of geography, population policy or a similar discipline that aligns with Professor Hugo's research interests. Students must also be undertaking Honours study on a full time basis and as a Commonwealth Supported student.
- The annual value of the Scholarship is $5,000, payable in two equal instalments direct to the student. Once the recipient has enrolled in semester one, the first instalment will be paid after the census date (usually 31 March each year). Once the recipient has enrolled in semester two, the second instalment will be paid after the census date (usually 31 August each year) and upon confirmation that satisfactory academic progress was achieved in semester one of the honours year.
- The scholarship will be offered in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- The scholarship will be for one year.
- The successful candidates will be required to undertake an internship at the Department of State Development (DSD) under the direction of a DSD supervisor. The project undertaken will be identified by DSD with advice from the University of Adelaide and will count towards the recipient's qualification. Research projects should be in the areas of geography, population policy or a similar discipline that aligns with Professor Hugo's research interests.
- The scholarship must be taken up in the year in which it is offered; acceptance of the scholarship offer cannot be deferred. If a student declines the scholarship offer, the scholarship will be offered to the next eligible student.
- The scholarships shall be administered by the School of Social Sciences.
- Selection of the successful candidate will be made by the School of Social Sciences and according to academic merit and suitability. Academic merit will be determined according to students' overall cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA). Suitability will be determined by the relevance and availability of the proposed research project in relation to the area of study of the late Professor Graeme Hugo.
- Students in receipt of other University of Adelaide Scholarships can apply for this Scholarship.
- The scholarship will be terminated where:
- a student ceases to be enrolled in the approved program of study at the University
- a student has provided false or misleading information with regard to their personal details
- a student has failed to maintain satisfactory academic progress in semester one of the Honours year
- student is guilty of serious misconduct in terms of the University Policy Rules for Student Conduct in the University.
- The rules of the Scholarship may be varied from time to time by the University.
Applications for this Scholarship will be open until Sunday 12 March 2017. Download the Application Form.