Rules of The LF and D Denholm Scholarship
The LF and D Denholm Scholarship has been established through a generous gift by Mrs Decie Denholm, made in memory of her late husband Lawrence Forbes and the life they made together. Mrs Denholm was a University of Adelaide employee for 22 years and is now Visiting Research Fellow, a position she's held since 1989. Mrs Denholm has been a long-term and generous benefactor of the University of Adelaide. The late Mr Denholm was a Newspaper Sub-Editor, with a strong interest in Music who regularly enjoyed attending the University of Adelaide's Elder Conservatorium of Music
- The Scholarship will be formally named The LF and D Denholm Scholarship, to form the agreement between the Discipline of History and Mrs Decie Denholm.
- The Scholarship will be open to full time postgraduate research students in the field of 17th and 18th Century European (including British) History. Applicants must be accepted as a candidate for a Masters by Research or Doctor of Philosophy at the University of Adelaide. The Scholarship is intended to supplement a major scholarship held by the recipient at the University of Adelaide.
- The Scholarship will be administered by the Discipline of History of the University of Adelaide. It is anticipated that the Scholarship will be offered for three years and the value will be $5,000 annually for each Scholarship, with one new Scholarship to be offered each year. This is based on the expectation that the invested sum will produce $15,000 annually toward the Scholarship.
- The successful applicant will be selected by the University on the grounds of his or her academic merit and research potential. The nomination of a candidate by a Discipline of History selection committee will be subject to the approval of the Research Education and Development Committee or Coursework Scholarships Committee.
- The duration of the scholarships will be a maximum of three years.
- Payments will be on a fortnightly basis and continuation of the Scholarship will be subject to satisfactory progress, as indicated by the student's supervisor and Head of School, or equivalent.
- The rules of The LF and D Denholm Scholarship may be varied from time to time by agreement between the Discipline of History, or equivalent, and the relevant Officer of the University of Adelaide, but the name and the general purpose of the Scholarship shall not be changed.