The Athol Lykke Award for Postgraduate Studies in Music
In 1956, the University of Adelaide accepted the sum of £1,860 raised by a committee of citizens to commemorate the work of Athol Lykke for music in South Australia for the purpose of promoting postgraduate studies in music. Athol Lykke was a former Concert Manager for the Australian Broadcasting Commission in South Australia.
The following rules are hereby made:
- The award shall be known as “The Athol Lykke Award for Postgraduate Studies in Music”.
- The award shall be awarded as often as the income permits, for a period of 1 year.
- The purpose of the award is to enable the student to pursue an advanced program of study approved by the Director of the Elder Conservatorium of Music and to spend their scholarship year gaining musical knowledge and experience in Great Britain or Ireland and/or, if permitted by the University of Adelaide, in practical training in Europe, Canada, USA or Australia.
- The annual value of the award is $3,000 payable direct to the student.
- A candidate for an award shall be a graduate in music of the University of Adelaide. Preference will be given to graduates of not more than five years’ standing.
- The award shall be administered by the Elder Conservatorium of Music.
- Selection of the successful candidate will be made by a committee under the chairmanship of the Director of the Elder Conservatorium.
- No award shall be made if there is no candidate worthy of an award.
- Should there be more than one candidate of sufficient merit, then the award may be shared equally.
- The award will be terminated where:
- a student ceases to be enrolled in the approved program of study at the University
- a student has provided false or misleading information with regard to their personal details
- a student has failed to maintain satisfactory academic progress for two consecutive semesters
- a student is guilty of serious misconduct in terms of the University Policy Rules for Student Conduct in the University.
- The rules of the award may be varied from time to time but the title and the purpose of the award shall not be changed.
Applications closed 31 March. Download an application form.